DIY: Personalized Dry Erase Calendar

Last week I shared some inspirational ideas on creating a Central Command Center, as well as my new CCC spot.  One of the features in my newly organized space is the personalized dry-erase calendar that I made.  I had previously purchased a dry-erase board from Tar-Jay, but it was just too small to write all the activities and notes to keep my family on track for the month ahead.

We needed something that had space for our daily schedule, as well as a place for notes, like:
bring books to the library by Tuesday or
pick up the dry cleaning after 6 on Friday or
don’t forget to buy MILK!

Hopefully with this new and much larger calendar, tasks and plans won’t fall through the cracks…

Last week right after finishing this CCC wall, we had some friends over for a bbq.  While enjoying our cocktails, the husband shouts out while pointing to the calendar, “That’s exactly what we need, where did you buy that?”

My response, “I didn’t buy it, I made it”

His response, “really?” … (he totally wasn’t believing it!)

But I really did make it myself and so can you… for less $15! I started off with a 16″ x 20″” frame from AC Moore.  The Portrait frames are always on sale for 40 or 50%, so I scored this for about $13.

At the time of purchase, I wasn’t sure how I was going to pull this calendar together, but I knew I wanted to add some color and pizazz.  I found some pretty scrapbook paper (which was also on sale) for $0.40 a sheet. I loved their modern designs and vibrant hues… a perfect compliment to the kitchen and dining space. (I have a lot of paper leftover, which I will definitely be using for another project!)

Then using the Excel program, I was able to make a calendar and print it on 11 x 17 paper.  I also made a separate sheet for notes.  Using the cells in Excel, it’s really easy to create.  Are you an excel user?  It’s one of my favorite programs to use ~ weird, I know.

Using my good ole’ imagination, along with my pretty paper and magic scissors, I created my personalized dry erase calendar.

To add a bit of personalization, I included our family name – Burger – to the top, using one of the stylish papers and my printer.  No silhouette machine here… ( I would love one though!)

I have to admit, this vibrant red polka-dot paper wasn’t the best choice for writing our name on, but O well, it works.  A quieter background would have been better – you learn from your mistakes, right?  That’s what is great about this personalized calendar… I can continually change the background and it’ll only cost pennies!

Here it is, complete and ready to be used!

After Post Note: I’ve received ALOT of questions about writing directly on the glass.  Just like a dry erase board, a dry erase marker can be used to write on the glass and it’s easy to clean with the felt end tip, a paper towel, or even your finger. DO NOT USE A SHARPIE – that will not erase!

It wasn’t up on the wall for five minutes and was already filled out…

And if you missed my new Central Command Center, here’s a peak and you can read this {post}.

In making this calendar, I was inspired by the personalized calendar that Beth created using one of her favorite go-to resources.  Check out her post {here}. Thanks Beth!

How do you stay organized?  Do you have a ‘go-to’ spot in your home where everything is layed out for the whole family? Do you have a family calendar? or a Central Command Center?  I have to admit, it sure is nice to be organized (at least in one area of my house, ha)!

Comments

Thanks so much Deb! I think the print friendly button makes it so easy for readers to click and print! Thanks for stopping by SAS Interiors. xo Jenna

Thanks Jill, glad to hear that I’ve inspired you to create your own. Please share it with me once it’s done! xo Jenna

Love love LOVE this calendar! Ever since I saw your command center post, I have been waiting for THIS post! :) And I am dreaming up my own command center for my house!

I do have a couple of questions for you though if you don’t mind. First, do you just use a regular dry erase marker on the glass that came with the frame? Maybe I am a little slow, but I didn’t know that worked! Haha! Second, any chance you want to share your very pretty excel calendar sheet? It’s ok if you don’t…but I just thought I would ask :):)

As always your site is AMAZING and wonderful! Thanks!
    Ashley @ Simply Designing recently posted..Rocky Road Fudge

Thanks Ashley!
      YES, you can write directly on the glass with a dry erase marker. Believe me, I’ve got a lot of questions about that, so no worries! I don’t mind sharing my excel calendar sheet, but I didn’t save it. If I have a chance, I will recreate it again. Are you good with excel and the cells? It’s really easy to create.
      You are so sweet – thanks for the kind comments!!
      xo Jenna

Thanks Kelly! You definitely have to try to create this calendar – it’s a must for any family!! Thanks for visiting SAS Interiors

Such a great idea. To add you can also use wet erase markers. These won’t rub off and can only be removed with a damn cloth. It may be useful to use the wet to fill in date and dry for everything else. That way you don’t accidentally erase the date if changing an event. Oh, I pinned this :)

Good to know Nicolette! Like you said, that type of marker might be good for the days, so they don’t rub off throughout the month. Thanks for the comment! xo Jenna

• Melissa says

A sharpie will work. You just need rubbing alcohol or acetone (fingernail polish remover) to remove it. I should know, I am a chemist and we label our glassware with sharpies all the time. :) it comes right off.

3. Sue Kennedy says

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!! I am working on recreating your spreadsheet and am having trouble making the little box where you put the date. Can you please let me know how you did that. Thanks!!!

Thanks Sue for the kind comments. I am putting together a PDF doc of the calendar – I hope to have it up later!

4. Meagan says

Hi;
    I stumbled upon this post and so happy that someone else had this idea with the scrapbook paper! I am still trying to recreate the excel calendar, but am having trouble sizing it. I read that you were putting up a .pdf, where will be able to find this? Your site makes me love DIY projects!!!

Thank you for sharing your creativity!

Just coming across this now and what a lifesaver! I have been a SAHM for almost 7 years and just recently got a PT job out of the home..with a 2nd grader & preschooler this will help! thanks for sharing :)

6. Tessa says

I love it!!! Where did you find the cute organization holders under your calendar? I made my calendar and think that it would be a great addition to the wall.

7. Deann says

What a great idea! You inspired me to make one myself! Also, you CAN use Sharpies! A Magic Eraser will take the Sharpie off the glass! (I used this trick at work!)

Thanks Deann! And good to know about being able to use a sharpie – I didn’t know that. And with a sharpie, I’m sure it stays on better than a dry erase marker.

1. If you accidentally write on glass with Sharpie, you can go over it with dry erase to get it off.
    2. Wet Erase works very well too, especially so that important things don’t get erased by accident.
    Annie recently posted..Short Story # 1

You’ll have to have a printer that prints using 11×17 paper or bring it to printing store like Staples or Office Max.

9. Kim says

Hi…I’m just wondering about the pictures above the calendar. Did you make those or happen to know where you bought them?

10. Annie says

Just wanted to let you know- you can take off Sharpie from a dry erase surface by going over it with a dry erase marker. I use it sometimes on my board at school when I have a sub, so the board doesn’t get erased.

11. Monique says

This may be silly question, but all the scrapbook paper I see is 12×12. And yours looks seamless across the top. If your frame is 11×18, how do you size the paper? Thanks!

Ha, there actually is a seam, Monique. I tried to match up the design so it wasn’t noticeable, but it’s there. Once it’s up, I’m sure you won’t see it. Hope that helps. xo Jenna

12. Mae says

Did you glue the papers together before putting in frame? Do you only use one month at a time? I am trying to figure out how to make a calendar similar to this but with more months. I may make one for current month and one for next month so that if something needs to be planned for more in advance I can put it on the calendar. I bought a pack of premade calendars at walmart that are goign to be perfect for putting in a 11 x 14 frame with room on top for pretty paper and room on right side for notes.

I used tape on the back to adhere the scrapbook paper together. I only have one month at a time, but am in the process of changing it to have two months at a time. Right now I just write down important dates in the notes section, then when the next month comes, I fill it in.

Hi! I love this project and have decided to make it for my sister for Christmas. Is the fram 18×24 or is it 16×20? The frame itself says 16×20? Thanks!

14. Elly miller says

I love this but I have one problem. Since this only shows 1 month at a time, how do u keep organized for the following months with appointments etc?

15. Kari says

Hi I’m in love with your dry erase calendar, I was trying to make it myself but I can’t figure it out in excel, anyway you have a file saved that you can share the calendar and the note part?
    thanks! Kari