DIY: Coffee Sack Ottoman

I’m always looking for something to update and I love finding ordinary things and changing their use to be a little more unusual.  Guess that’s what a DIYer is all about.  Yesterday, I shared some very creative ways to recycle and repurpose burlap coffee sacks.  A while ago, I scored some old coffee sacks from a local coffee shop and once my creative juices started to flow, I had just the idea – an ottoman for my living room.  It was a perfect way to show the coffee sack stamping and detailing!  After scoring an ottoman (which was in desperate need of a makeover) at a garage sale for $5, I gathered the rest of my supplies, and set off to begin the project.

Thankfully the ottoman was sturdy and overall, in good condition, so I knew with a little TLC, this little guy could look pretty again!

These are the burlap coffee sacks (or you can buy coffee sacks) that I picked up on my random Saturday morning excursion in downtown Saratoga Springs (and they were free!  The mister just asked for them, and all of a sudden we were the owner of 4 coffee sacks).

The legs of the ottoman screwed into the bottom frame, so I was able to easily remove them, along with the fabric.  The original ottoman legs were an orange-stained oak – not my cup of tea and a little different than the rest of the woods in my home.  I prefer a darker look, so I chose to use a Jacobean finish.

I first gave the legs a good standing ~

Then, it was time to apply the Jacobean stain.  I wanted to achieve a dark finish, so I did not wipe the stain off – I waited (a long time) for it to completely dry.  If you prefer the tone of the Jacobean stain, but desire a lighter, more transparent look, then you can rub the stain off with a soft cloth.  I applied 3 coats to get the look I wanted and it took about 3-4 days for the legs to completely dry.

Like my makeshift drying rack? I used the wire basket from our old refrigerator during the Kitchen Makeover.

In the meantime, I moved on to cutting the burlap coffee sacks to reupholster the ottoman top ~

Then reupholstered the top using a staple gun ~

Almost done…

After the legs dried (which took a loooong time), they were ready to reattach.  At that point, I was happy with the ottoman, but it still needed something.  Hmmm…  how about nail heads?  Yes, that would be the finishing touch that it needed!

It took me quite a long time to find upholstery nails.  Then this kind blogger helped me out and mentioned that Ace Hardware and Home Depot carry them.   Really?  AH and HD…never would have thought it, but she was right.  Thess upholstery nails were just what I needed to complete this makeover.  They were $1.37/pack and I used 3 packs.

To attach the upholstery nailheads, I started off at one corner and then gently nailed in each one into the wood base.  It’s important to keep them evenly separated and in-line, as much as possible.

Then I continued around the entire base~

One important part of this reupholstery project is how I finished the corners.  Especially because the burlap is very heavy, the corners were quite tricky.  I actually had finished the ottoman top, was unhappy with the result, and reworked them.

Here is my first attempt that I wasn’t happy with~

And here is the final, reworked look.  Instead of wrapping the fabric to the side (as seen above), I pulled it underneath, so the finished corner had a clean look. Like this~

And it’s complete!

One more picture of the before~

And here it is now… a comfy place to put my feet up!

Do you think it could be a Ballard Designs Knock-off?

Have you used burlap coffee sacks for any of your DIY projects?  Do you have any projects in mind using these found treasures?  If you want to check out more creative projects using coffee sacks, check out this post ~ Coffee Sack Creations and check out my pins on Pinterest.

Comments

Thanks Carol – You are SO right…it’s very Ballard. I have another post coming just about that…check back later! Jenna

1. West furniture revival says

Love this so cute I’ve been thinking about doing this! Would love to feature it on my next revival Monday if that would be ok let me know!

Absolutely, that would be wonderful – thank you! Please send me the link and I will share it with my readers as well. Thanks for stopping by SAS Interiors! xo Jenna

Thanks Annie for the kind comment. Burlap coffee sacks are a material that is basically indestructible, so using it with kids in the house, is perfectly fine – I have 2, so I know firsthand! Thanks for stopping by SAS Interiors. xo Jenna

2. Shani says

i just found 5 coffee sacks today! 4 huge ones, and 1 smaller one…might make them art? maybe an ottoman? love these ideas!
    i also found 2 adorable sugar sacks, i plan on stuffing them for the perfect size lumbar pillow. the words are faded, it is a nice soft feel to the fabric- i am SO excited!

YAY Shani!! 5 coffee sacks – that’s awesome! There is so much you can do with them. I can’t wait to see what you create – please send me pictures or post on the SAS Interiors facebook page (www.facebook.com/sasinteriors). xo Jenna

• Shani says

ok, i will. just wondering if you washed your burlap before using. all sorts of conflicting statements online about washing burlap, to soften and take out the smell. what have you heard and what did you do?
        thanks!

I didn’t wash the burlap because I would have been afraid that it would fall apart or not wash right. Since I used it on an ottoman I wasn’t concerned much, but as a pillow, I might try and wash it. Maybe cut a small piece off and wash it, just to try it out.

Thanks Samantha for stopping by SAS Interiors. Glad you liked my coffee sack ottoman and I will definitely be stopping over to your blog to check out the pillow you created! xo Jenna

Thanks so much Taryn for visiting SAS Interiors and for the kind comment! I love working with burlap – so fun! Have you ever used burlap for a project? Jenna

3. Meaghan says

Hi there,

I stumbled upon this project from Knock Off Decors.
    I also have 2 free coffee sacks that I was hoping to use to re-upholster a rocking chair with. My only concern was that the loose strings? if that’s what they’re called would get all over you. Was there any thing that you did to your sacks to prepare them for upholstery?
    Thanks so much for any advice!

Hi Meaghan! So glad to hear that you found SAS Interiors through my project on Knock Off Decor – Welcome!! When reupholstering the ottoman, I made sure to leave a lot of extra material, so when I staple gunned it on the underside, it wasn’t going to fray. I think if you were to sew the coffee sacks, it might be difficult. I would suggest surging the edge to avoid possible fraying. Jenna

• Christie says

Could you use something like “Fray Check” on the edges? I want to do this to my ottoman, which is more like a coffee table size. I scored some big coffee sacks at the pawn shop but I may have to sew some together. Any advice?
        Thanks!

You probably could use fray check for the ends, but once it’s wrapped around and stapled underneath, you shouldn’t have issues with fraying. Good luck – cant wait to see your creation. xo Jenna