How to Decorate a Mantel

Many of you know that I’m a Pinterest junkie.  From recipes to photography to gardening, anything and everything you could want to know about is on this amazing site.  Of course, for me, my #1 search is usually home decor and DIY.  The other day I stumbled upon this great pictorial on how to decorate a Mantel.  I’m sure you know the expression, a picture means a thousand words, and this image certainly says it all.  Through the words in my blog, I’m forever looking for ways to inspire you to create a haven of your own, well this is it!

original image via and via

When starting to decorate your mantel, it’s best to remove everything and begin with a fresh palette.  It allows you to see it free and clear so your creative juices start to flow.

Simple tricks to start your mantel decor

1. Center 1 big piece: Begin in the center and choose something that is of a substantial size, maybe a mirror or artwork that you love.  This will be the main focal point of the mantel and will “ground” the other accessories in front.
2. Movement: Choose items that “move” the eye.  Whether it be candles which move from the flickering flame or items of varying heights which make the eye move up and down, include accessories that are intriguing and add vision interest.
3. Visual Weight: A secondary focal point that isn’t as big, but still gives a punch, is a great addition to a mantel ensemble.  When pulling together a mantel, it’s best to layer one piece in front of another.  Choosing a vase with flowers or branches that will sit in front of your “big piece” starts the layering effect.
4. Layering: Whether it be art, photos, candles, or accessories, layering and staggering different sized items in front of each other is a must to create a cohesive composition.
5. Vary Heights: Along with layering, adding accessories of varying heights is more visually engaging.  It helps the eye move up and down and across.  Between layering and varying heights, you want to create a wave effect with your mantel.  It starts out low, then goes up, comes back down, then up again, and finishes low.

As  Steven and Chris say, these 5 tricks create a Visual Triangle.  Starting at the top most point, you have your 1 big center piece, and then each side angles down with the addition of interesting accessories, resulting in a finished triangle = a beautiful decorated mantel.

Looking at some real-life examples always help, so let’s take a peak at two of my recent mantels.

Fall Mantel – This is my most recent mantel decorated for Fall.  Similarly to the pictoral above, I “marked up” the 5 tricks to create a cohesive mantel.  Starting with the big piece in the center, a rectangular mirror, and layering different accessories at varying heights, the Visual Triangle was created.  And do you see the “mantel wave”?  There are lots of lows and highs, lows and highs.

Summer Mantel – This second mantel design was from the summer and even though it’s simpler and less accessorized, it still uses the 5 basic principles for decorating a mantel.

Here are a few other mantels that also showcase the 5 basic principles~

via

via

via

via

via

via

For even more on mantels, check out these posts:

Fireplace Series 1: History of Fireplaces and Mantels
Fireplace Series 2: The Fireplace and Television don’t have to be Frenemies
Fireplace Series 3: Wordless Wednesday ~ AMAZING Fireplaces
Fireplace Series 4: Give your Fireplace a Makeover
Fireplace Series 5: Mantels, Mantels, and more Mantels

What do you like to showcase on your mantel?  Similar to the ideas above or do you use completely different “principles”?  In the comment section below, send me a link to your mantel decor or share a picture with me on Facebook.

I’ll be linking this post to our Trick or Tip link party this Friday, the 28th!  If was fun sharing my painting tricks and tips with you earlier this week.  If you missed Sandra’s post yesterday on patching drywall, it’s a must read.  And head over to Diane’s blog today where she’s sharing some ideas on decorating.  Tomorrow, it’s Shannon‘s turn and Brittany will be rounding out the week on Friday.  I can’t wait to see what tricks and tips YOU’LL BE SHARING!

I link my projects to some of these parties: Skip to My Lou, Dittle Dattle, Between Naps on the Porch, Today’s Creative Blog, Stories of A to Z, All Things Heart & Home, Savvy Southern Style, House of Hepworths, Finding Fabulous, Creation Corner, The Shabby Nest, Tatertots and Jello, Funky Junk, Under the Table & Dreaming

Comments

I LOVE this!!!! Typically I just add things until I “feel” like it looks right and actually ends up looking fairly close to what it “should” look like according to this. But, a great layout to keep in mind, I’ll be sharing this too!

Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

Thanks Pamela – I even found it helpful too and realized that I was on the right track when looking at my various decorated mantels. Thanks for sharing on FB too :)

Thanks for sharing this awesome tutorial. It looks so easy, but can be tough at times. Maybe it’s finding the right pieces to fit and heights.
    Have a great rest of your week!

Andrea xx
    Andrea recently posted..Simple Friday

Thanks Andrea! I’m so glad you found inspiration through my 5 principles for decorating a mantel! Have a wonderful week as well. xo Jenn

Great concept, and I think the examples that work best use pieces of different heights next to each other. Just as in the triangle placement for the overall look, keep the triangle placement for pieces next to each other, so no two pieces are of equal height if next to each other. Also having each piece touch or overlap creates a visual tangent that ties it together. We also use this triangle composition in portraiture for a more pleasing look, posing subjects so that heads are staggered in height rather than on the same plane.

Thanks Colleen for chiming in and yes, you are so right, creating smaller triangles within the larger triangle is key to a successful decorated mantel!

I now know that my mantel is a hot mess. I get confused by the fact that the wall above it slopes upward from left to right. So, I just slopped a bunch of crap up there. I guess there are probably worse parts of my house!
    Anyway thanks for these nice tips!

lol, your comment made me laugh! I’m sure your mantel is not a hot mess. Ignore the sloping wall and just focus on the horizontal surface of the mantel.

Thanks Meredith. These tricks and ideas for decorating a mantel can absolutely be used for other areas of the home. They’re not specifically and only for the mantel. Any place in the home where you want to create a collection or vignette, these ideas can be helpful. Jenna

How to decorate a mantel post October 26, 2011
    My daughter, another blogger, sent me your post…. I love this! Very useful. I have been playing around with decorating my mantel (somewhat unsuccessfully) for over a year now. Your post is very useful. I am going to try it with your guidelines.
    Thanks sooooo much!
    Mona
    Mona recently posted..Spring Mantel with Shades of Turquoise

6. Liz says

This is a great article… wish I could apply it to my mantel… my mantel is so big nothing seems to look right… it is 10 foot long… help!!!

7. Barbara Brister says

I need your help. how can I send you a picture of mymantle? have just moved to the country. small home with a very simple 7 ft mantle with my grandmothers 34″ round mirror above. Help please Barbara

This was a wonderful post! We shared it on our twitter and Facebook today so everyone can learn how to decorate a mantel easily and to suit their own taste,

The Greenway Team
    Greenway Home Products

That is a difficult question to answer without seeing the mantel, the picture, and the space. A large picture or mirror is a great backdrop for a mantel. Layering items from front to back and creating ups and downs throughout, always creates for an interesting composition. If you love the look, then it’s not outdated. Follow what is meaningful to you and if you don’t like it, find an inspirational mantel and emulate it. Good Luck!

1. [...] Tip #5 is possibly the most popular tip: create a visual triangle with your decor. Whether you have a large painting centered on your mantel, or a tall candlestick like I have, place an item with substantial size in the center to “ground” your other accessories. Use smaller items toward the edges of your fireplace mantel. See some examples at SAS Interiors. [...]