Dried Hydrangea Wreath

It’s officially Spring! This is definitely a favorite time of year for me when the days are longer and the temps are warmer.  The winter was pretty non-existent in Upstate NY this year, so thankfully a lot of projects that were on the backburner till Spring, already got finished. Over the weekend when the weather was in the 60s and sunny, we started tackling our first outdoor project of the year, but I stepped away from the cutting and hammering for a moment to make this beautiful Dried Hydrangea Wreath.

I had anticipated making this wreath in the Fall and cut off a bunch of hydrangea flowers from my mom’s garden before the first freeze last year.  Unfortunately, I never got around to it, so the hydrangeas sat in my garage since then, but I knew they’d make a beautiful Spring wreath when the time came.

I started off with a grapevine (or twig) wreath that I purchased for $2.88 at AC Moore.  That was the only part of this project that I had to purchase, so essentially it cost me less than $3 to make – no $40 wreath for this girl!

The key to making a full, yet balanced dried hydrangea wreath is to start with the larger flowerheads as the base around the wreath, and then add in smaller flowerheads.

Starting with larger hydrangea flowerheads, I gently threaded the stems through the grapevine wreath.

I then added the medium sized flowerheads and filled in the areas around.

I finished the wreath by adding the smallest flowerheads to any of the open gaps.  The smallest size is really the most important because it really completes the fullness of the wreath.

Note: As you’re threading the stems through the wreath, you may need to secure them with floral wire.  I didn’t need much since the stems were long enough and were tucked fairly tight between the twigs of the grapevine wreath.

Once all of the dried hydrangea flowerheads were added to the wreath, I trimmed the stems in the back of the wreath with a scissor.

And it was complete.  The entire wreath cost less than $3 and took me about 15 minutes to create – simple and inexpensive!  How much better can you get?!  And here’s the result…

I want to mention that the hydrangea leaves are fragile, so it’s important to create this wreath with a gentle hand.  This wreath is also not great for a high traffic place or door (ie: front door).  I’ve got the perfect spot for it though… stay tuned!

Have you made a new wreath for the Spring?

I link my projects to some of these parties: Skip to My Lou, Dittle Dattle, Between Naps on the Porch, Today’s Creative Blog, Stories of A to Z, All Things Heart & Home, Savvy Southern Style, House of Hepworths, Finding Fabulous, Creation Corner, The Shabby Nest, Tatertots and Jello, Thrifty Decor Chick, Tip Junkie

Comments

Aren’y hydrangeas beautiful, Amy? They are my of my favorites too and this wreath was incredibly easy, fast, and inexpensive to create! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. xo Jenna

I absolutely love hydrangeas and love that they are beautiful fresh or dried!! Your wreath came out beautiful. I just post about my spring wreath today…and am hosting a party for all of your easy peasy, super simple tips and projects…if you have any you’d like to share it’d be great to see you linked up! :)

Karah
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog recently posted..It’s {not always} a Cinch

Thank you so much Yvonne! This was such an easy wreath to make and I’m so happy that you were inspired. xo Jenna

I know, aren’t hydrangeas beautiful and there is so much to do with them wen they’re dried out. Glad to have inspired you. xo Jenna

2. Tahra West says

Hi,
    I love your Hydrangea wreath. I live in Florida and I would die to have a Hydrangea bush down here but for some reason, they don’t do well in Florida. I have a question for you. How long did it take to dry those Hydrangea leaves and could I make the wreath with live flowers and then allow them to dry on the wreath? Thanks for your posts, I love your projects!
    Tahra
    Tahra West recently posted..Alcove Decorating

Thanks Tahra. I love in the Northeast, and hydrangeas do so well here. It took about a week for the hydrangeas to dry out. I guess you could make the wreath with live flowers and then allow them to dry on the wreath – I don’t see why you couldn’t. -Jenna

3. Joan says

I made a dried hydrangea wreath. Is there a way ti preserve it? keep the petals from falling?I heard you can use hair spray? What kind?

If left untouched, the petals have stayed in tact. The one issue that I found was the hydrangea leaves turned in color. I wish that didn’t happen, and honestly I’m not sure how to avoid it. Have fun making your own!

Jenna

4. Linda says

my lime-green hydrangea wreath went from that gorgeous colour to drab looking beige and then the birds flew in (I had it on the wall on our front porch – out of the weather) and dismantled it for their nest-making… delighted yet disappointed am I!