Horrid to Heavenly Master Bathroom Reveal

In one week, my master bathroom went from a place that I dreaded and turned into a heavenly, serene, and spa-like oasis.  The last 7 days have been a whirlwind of working around the clock, but it’s all worth it!  Looking back, I can’t believe I waited so long.  I walk into this space now and I feel a fresh of breathe air.  Take a look…

Pin It

Beautiful right?  But wait until you see the before, and you’ll be sure to appreciate the after even more!

Pin It

I’ve been slightly secretive about the plan that I had for this space.  I didn’t want to reveal too many details and ruin the big reveal.  If you want to see more though, you can check out Part 1 and Part 2 of the Bathroom Makeover.

Can you believe how horrid the bathroom looked before?  Frightening! Enough about that…  Let’s take a tour!

The process for this bathroom makeover started last Friday when I spackled and prepared the walls for painting. Quick backstory: Before we moved into our home, the walls were wallpapered.  The previous owners removed the wallpaper, and painted the walls that horrid pink/purple color.  When they removed the wallpaper, the walls got really damaged, so there was ALOT of prep work before painting could begin.

Along with the walls, we also painted the previously stained mouldings, with a fresh coat of semi-gloss white. This update alone, made the space look completely different!

Once the walls were painted and complete, it was time to lay the new floor.  I decided to use groutable vinyl floor tiles, which I layed directly over my existing floor.  I chose a tile that has a similar look to Botticino natural stone and installed the tile the same way I did for my parents foyer. Groutable vinyl truly looks JUST LIKE ceramic – it’s amazing!

After the joints were grouted and set, I moved onto the sink base cabinet.  This was quite the experiment for sure and turned out nothing as I envisioned, but I’m still happy with the result.  I desired a dark cabinet, but with a light glaze overlay (opposite of my glazed cabinet), but it didn’t work.  After wracking my brain for a bit, I decided to use stain as the glaze.

The shower curtain isn’t a shower curtain at all.  It’s actually two drapery panels made and hung to look like a shower curtain.  I had found these panels at Target and was desperate to use them someplace, and this bathroom was the perfect spot. (Tutorial on how to make any window panel/curtain into a shower curtain).

The window valance I also made using drop cloth fabric and something pretty neat (another tutorial coming soon).

Even though I spent alot of time on this makeover, the process went quite quickly because all the existing plumbing fixtures remained.  The sink, faucet, cabinet, countertop, toilet, and tub are all the same pieces we had before – nothing is new.  Even though the fixtures looked a lil’ sad in the before space, once they were spruced up and surrounded by other beautiful elements, they looked new again.

Surprised that I didn’t do something funky or with more color?  I am, but I truly desired a soft, subtle, and spa-like retreat. And do you blame me after the color I’ve lived with for so long?!

For the existing frameless medicine cabinet that is built into the wall, I added a wood frame surround and secured it with liquid nails.  I took the same steps as I did with the kids bathroom, but without the chalkboard. Simply adding a frame around this somewhat boring style medicine cabinet, gives it new life and a new look for about $15.

I love a good quote and these are simple, to the point, and important to remember every day.

Of course you need a place to put a towel.. or two.  I installed these darling towel hooks right outside of the shower.  I added small frames above the hooks that I spray painted white and the glass with chalkboard paint to create a W (for wife) and H (for husband)…  now each of us knows which towel is whose!

Here’s a recap and rundown of everything in the space –

1. New lighting fixture from Lowe’s
  2. DIY window valance made of drop cloth material (tutorial coming soon)
  3. 8×10 black frames with quotes I printed on my home printer
  4. Mirror was created using a 24 x 36 picture frame.  I took the existing frameless mirror to a local glass shop, which they reused and cut it down to size to create this new mirror – all for less than $20
  5. New hand and bath towels from TJ Maxx
  6. New tile backsplash (Read Tutorial: how-to install tile backsplash)
  7. Espresso bamboo roman shade from  Lowe’s
  8. Accessories from Target, Home Goods, and various local shops
  9. DIY cabinet makeover (Read Tutorial: how To glaze a cabinet using stain); Crystal knobs from Lowe’s
  10. Wool rug from Target
  11. Window panels from Target made into a shower curtain (Read Tutorial: how to make any curtain into a shower curtain)
  12. Groutable Vinyl Tile (Read Tutorial: how-to install groutable vinyl tile)

13. Place card frames made into initial frames with white spray paint and chalkboard paint
14. Towel hooks from Hobby Lobby
15. Bath towels from TJ Maxx
16. Bath stand from Home Goods

For about $500 (for supplies and accessories), I think this bathroom makeover was a huge success and a must! Here are a few more pictures for ya…

So would you agree this bathroom is a drastic difference from what it was only one week ago?  I’ve enjoyed many of the comments and thoughts on what y’all thought about the before bathroom… at least I gave you a few chuckles!  I’m just SO glad it’s complete and I’m thrilled with the results!

Tutorials you may want to read:

Thanks to these sites for featuring my Master Bathroom Makeover: Stories of A to Z, Centsational Girl BOTB, Addicted 2 Decorating

Comments

Thank you so much Erin! I’ll be sharing a tutorial on the drapery panel turned shower curtain soon. -Jenna

Thanks so much Kristi! They probably painted the walls that horrid color to hide all the imperfections. We were sadly surprised when we moved in and took a closer look at all the work. Anyway, it’s complete and I’m thrilled. -Jenna

I knew I forgot something… Thanks Kristine for pointing that out. The wall color is Benjamin Moore Berkshire Beige. It’s a beautiful mix of gray, taupe, and beige.

Thank you so much Tracy! I have definitely been walking in and out of the bathroom with a huge smile on my face – it’s such a breathe of fresh air!

1. Hadassah says

Jenna, it’s truly spa like; I can see you enjoying your bath :) How did you do the framed quote art?

Welcome Amy! Thanks for being a new follower – love “meeting” new people!! Thanks for the kind comment. xo Jenna

It is definitely a serene space now, Ruth! I would absolutely LOVE to hide in the bathroom all day and when I am in there, I don’t let anyone else come in,lol. I just love how peaceful it is! -Jenna

Thanks Molly. The cabinet definitely didn’t turn out as I envisioned, but I really like the look. Tutorial coming soon, so be sure to check back!

Thanks so much for visiting SAS Interiors, Rhonda! The purple / pink was a crazy color, and I am SO thankful that it’s long gone!! Thanks for the kind comments. xo Jenna

You are so sweet, thanks Rhoda! The little details make a HUGE difference and I’m glad I took a step back to truly focus on the small things, which made the space ultimately come together. Thanks again. xo Jenna

I know, what a HUGE difference. And you remember what it looked like before from my previous posts. It’s great to have it complete. Love the color in the rug! Different from the colors in the rest of my home, so it’s nice. xo Jenna

Thanks so much for stopping by SAS Interiors, Courtney, and for leaving such a kind comment! It’s great to have this space complete. -Jenna

I know, I know, the pink was UGLY! Thankfully it’s long gone and now I have a delightful new space. Thanks for stopping by SAS Interiors and leaving such a kind comment! xo Jenna

GORGEOUS!! I love all of the details and the Target draperies turned shower curtain! I recently used a Target tablecloth as a shower curtain and have decided if you can’t find what you want – improvise, right? ;-)

The purple was rough but
    Not
    Horrid, if you truly want to see horrid, I just linked up a before and after as well.

The design is divine indeed! We had little oomph left to decorate after our renovation :-)

Sorry this is a grammatical nightmare, a pink window kept hovering over the text box asking me to share.
    Cristy@Menemini recently posted..Shillelagh Shake!

4. FABBY says

First of all, I’m totally amazed at your talent!! Your bathroom looks fabulous! I don’t think I could ever get myself into any kind of construction, so I DMIRE YOU… wow! Loving it. Have a terrific weekend.
    FABBY

You are so sweet, thank you Fabby! Construction and a huge overhaul isn’t always needed. Sometimes a few updates are all you need for a great makeover! -Jenna

5. helen says

Truly nice and refreshing! Gave me some ideas about re-doing my master bath- thanks so much for sharing your tips!!

6. Kristie meek says

Your bathroom is just beautiful. I love it.
    I really like the colors you used. What is the color
    Of the paint.
    Thanks Kristie

NO, I didn’t. I cut the tile around the toilet. If it were ceramic tile, I would have had to remove the toilet, but since LVT is so thin, I didn’t need to.

7. Stacie says

Love it! You have inspired me to do my girls bathroom because they love this look. The shower curtain caught my eye because I had just purchased this exact curtain! The link for the cute Target rug doesn’t work. Do you know if the link has changed or maybe they don’t carry the rug any longer? If they don’t carry it do you possibly know the name of it so I could possibly find it online?

8. Robin T says

Jenna, I absolutely love your bathroom makeover! You’ve given me so much inspiration to re-do my bathroom using the same (almost) color scheme. The valance that you made to go over the window looks amazing. Is the blue design on that valance painted on, or is it ribbon? I don’t see the information or tutorial for it on your website yet (or maybe I missed it).

You know what Robin, for some reason and I don’t remember why, I never shared a tutorial on the valance and I am asked about it often. Anyway, the blue design is actually a fabric pen that I used. I layed out the design with a pencil and filled it in with a pen. So easy! Good Luck. xo Jenna

What a beautiful transformation! I’m trying to decide which color of vinyl tile to use in my kitchen and I really like the color you choose. Would you mind sharing which brand and color you used?

Thanks!