Spring Front Porch {Reveal}

Confession…

I didn’t even have 5 minutes to start my staircase carpet removal this past weekend – Huge Bummer, I know!  I’m sure some of you are disappointed {I am} after my exciting Another DIY Project is Born post from Friday, buuuuut I have to say the weekend was not filled with R & R.  Instead of embarking on my latest DIY idea (removing the ugly, old, worn carpet on the stairs), we continued our efforts on the exterior instead.

Take a look…

Pretty snazzy, right?  Boy, did it take A-L-O-T of effort and my butt is still aching, but it was definitely worth it.  AND there is still a few weekends ahead of us before it’s complete (if ever).  Let me show you around…

Last week I mentioned that the Mister and I enlarged the exterior columns and I finally took pictures, so here they are!  I’ve got a ‘thing’ for beefy columns and the 3″ wide style we had before always bothered me.  Now… the larger style columns, which are about 8″ wide, make the house appear more grounded and the overall scale actually feels larger – to me anyway.

So what do you think?

Want to see how it looked before? These are a few pictures from the time when we moved in two years ago up until last year when we started the transformation process.

Even looking at these pictures myself, I’m surprised at how much work we’ve done over the last two years.  With lots of Tender Loving Care, our outdoor front space has truly changed.  Last year we started with a few plantings and they’re really growing – I’m kinda shocked since I have no green thumb.

I have to show you my favorite plant in the garden (thus far), which is the bleeding heart.

And the new hanging baskets.

All the plantings in the front beds are perennials and started off much smaller last year and have continually been growing.  So far this year, I got two new hanging baskets with annual flowers, as well as two boxwoods that I planted in large black pots that flank the garage. From my understanding (which I was told by our local gardening center), the boxwoods will continue to grow and should last up to 10 years – we shall see.

Aside from the flowers, I’ve added bursts of color with accessories and pillows throughout the porch area.  Even though it’s not an overly large porch, it’s quaint and a great place to sit, relax, and read a book.

The burnt orange bird feeder is another colorful addition to the front porch. I wasn’t sure how it would look, but I’m loving how it brightens up the porch and hopefully birds will come for some good food.

And to give you an update on the side yard, the tree stumps are out and I seeded the 3000 sq.ft.  area – O, do I hope that grass grows!

But, I can say, I got this pond up and running too this weekend – another FINALLY!  It’s been here since we moved in, but hasn’t worked.  Until now.

Thanks so much for visiting and allowing me to share my progressing front porch and plantings with you.  There’s lots more to come! Have you started planting flowers yet this Spring?

Comments

You are so sweet, thanks Laura! Didn’t the columns come out great – I’m surely in love. xo Jenna

It looks gorgeous, Jenna! You two have put in a lot of hard work, and it shows. I love those pillows on the chairs. And all the other pops of color. I wish we had a porch. Our little one likes to rider her bike or play out front and I have to sit on the hard cement steps. A comfy chair with pillows would be soo much more comfortable. Have a great week!!

~ Catie

Oh, you should definitely check out my latest post – cinnamon roll cake. Sooo good!! ; )
    Catie @ Catie’s Corner recently posted..Cinnamon Roll Cake

We have been busy and thank you so much for your kind thoughts, Catie! I’ll have to pop over and check out your cinnamon cake, thanks for letting me know! xo Jenna

Thanks so much Megan. Don’t you just love the beautiful and vibrant pink color of the bleeding hearts?! xo Jenna

Thanks so much Carrie. Any chance you’ll be visiting Upstate NY soon? I’d love to finally meet! xo Jenna

2. imklvr says

I’ve always said, a porch is one of the most important rooms of a house….right after the bathroom! Yours is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

The front porch / entry is so important because it’s the first impression before entering the home! Thank you for your kind thoughts. -Jenna

3. heather says

Hi Jenna–
    I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! Thanks for sharing. I have a similar issue with my front columns. They are spindle-type and I am looking for the larger colums, like yours! Did you purchase and install these yourself or get a contractor? Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direcetion here and enjoy your fabulous home!

Heather

Hi Heather,
      Welcome and thanks for the kind comments! We actually created the columns ourselves and built upon the existing columns instead of removing and creating new ones. If you’d like more info, let me know! -Jenna

4. Kristy says

Looks great Jenna and Im getting excited for Spring now! I would love more info on your columns and how you expanded them!
    Also- what perennials do you have in front? The ones that border the walkway

Love the potted boxwood!