Useful Ideas and Layouts to Create a Photo Gallery Wall

My most popular post to date that you, my awesome readers, just swoon over is how to create a photo wall display. This post alone has received well over 70,000 views and today I’m sharing even more great ideas and layouts to create your own photo gallery wall.

Knowing where to begin when creating a montage of photos can often be intimidating, so I’ve gathered some handy examples on how to find the right balance and layout for various sized photos in all the different areas of the home.

Here comes a long post with alot pictures, but it’ll be worth scrolling all the way through…

Staircase, gallery wall, and ledge display ideas by Brenda Knight Photography

Gallery wall ideas via Pottery Barn

Photo and wall decor ideas via One Click Design Studio

I really like the asymmetrical foyer photo layout.

Room vignettes with photo gallery ideas via RobinWood Photography

Wall Display Templates by Gradybug Designs

Lots of display ideas – source unknownGallery Wall idea by Jen of World of Dennifer

Layouts for photo gallery walls by Ann Beck Photograpghy

All in one system by The Picture Wall Company.  You choose the frame style and color, the matting, and images, and the rest is up to them.  What a great concept – the hardwork is taken out of the equation and a beautiful gallery wall is created in no time.

Creative layouts for different areas of the house by Brand Sushi

Creating a template with craft paper is a helpful way to layout your gallery wall BEFORE even picking up a hammer and nail – source unknown

Before committing to a layout, take a picture of the blank wall and if there will be a piece of furniture on the wall, have it in the pic.  Then using a free graphic program like picmonkey, start creating different  picture layouts. Idea via 7th House on the Left

Gallery Walls don’t always have to be just pictures.

I’m loving how these yellow distressed mirrors make a beautiful collage.

Another idea is to mix picture frames (sans the pictures) with mirrors.  What a fun and eclectic idea via

Have you created a photo gallery wall in your home? What’s your favorite layout to display pictures? I hope some of the layouts will help with your next picture montage!

For some of the images in this post, I could not locate the original source.  If you know the original source and/or own the rights to the unknown source images, please let me know. My intention is to ALWAYS give credit where credit is due!

Comments

1. nanC says

Love it, such unique ideas, works of art in themselves. I’m passing it on to my sister in law, whose home is entirely perfectly photo galleried. This should give her new ideas for her future galleries. THANKS!!

What a great post!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I am creating a photo wall that is on the wall adjacent to my staircase and I can’t tell you how many websites I had to go to get ideas on gallery wall layouts before I finally found one that was helpful. oh how I wish I would have “stumbled upon” your blog sooner, I love how much info you included in your post, very informative and helpful!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! I look forward to following your posts going forward!!
    ~ Jessica
    Jessica recently posted..Creative Ways to Use Wallpaper

This is so freaking useful! i love it a lot! i never knew there are actually layouts to all these things, i am so posting this in my blog and of course i’m going to state the source of the information :D

Really very useful ideas, but as you said the options are endless, and everyone will find something suitable for his own wall, also the frame color matters a lot in that situation, sometimes colors can give a totally different look to the same shape… Thank you for sharing your ideas.

This is SO incredibly helpful and you’ve given, I think, every possible photo configuration out there. I also never would have thought to map out a configuration with paper and tape first. I usually hang things and then proceed to make a million holes in my wall moving each picture 10 times until I get it right. I see a lot less patching of holes in my future…

6. vivek says

Wonderful stuff..I have a layout for 25 pics ready..but before i go ahead. I wanted to know is there anyway I can avoid hitting nails in the wall ??

7. lauren says

Love it! have just created one for my wall but need a tip… I don’t want to nail then all in, do u have any suggestions or know of any products I could use instead?

8. Michelle Rieber says

I am so glad you posted this link again on FB. I am planning on getting a canvas picture made from our Christmas picture and wanted that to be our anchor for a family picture wall, but was totally overwhelmed with no idea where to start. Now, maybe I will get this project done in 2014. THANK YOU!!!!!

Great to hear Michelle! Good luck with your photo gallery wall. Displaying family pictures is so important! Cheers to 2014. xo Jenna

9. Stephanie says

Thanks so much for all this great information. I got lucky and you were the first site I came upon in my search for how to create a photo gallery wall. Seems from all the other comments, I could have wasted alot of time looking at other sites until I found this. Must be my lucky day!

Thanks again

Stephanie
    Sydney, Australia

10. Teresa says

Thank you sooooo much for this page. Especially for those of us who have NO idea how to decorate a room and cannot afford to pay a decorator. The layouts are soooo helpful. I do have a question as I have a wall that is 130″ with a sectional in front. I purchased a canvas picture that has all the colors we are using in the room. It is 23″ in height and 35 in length. I also wanted to add a couple of ledges/shelves to the side. I did not see any layout with a picture placed this way. Would it be ok to do something like this?