My First Annie Sloan Experience

Yes, using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is an experience!

If you have no idea what I’m talking about and/or have no idea who Annie Sloan is, no worries, just keep on reading.  If you do know about ASCP, stick around and see if you’ve had a similar experience (I’d love to hear your thoughts).

I shared the result of my first Annie Sloan paint project yesterday and the response was unbelievable.  Thank you ALL for your kind comments – I was blown away by your kindness!  If you missed the reveal, I revamped and reupholstered a side chair for my desk.  Before the reupholstery could begin though, I painted the chair frame with my newly purchased Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I had never used this paint before and it was quite an experience.  I shared a little about it yesterday, but wanted to go more in-depth with a dedicated post.  So here we go…

I’ll start off by saying, I had some issues and jumped a few hurdles, but got through it. (but keep reading please…)

Many of my blogger friends have used the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and the results are amazing. One that really sticks out in my mind is Erin’s table and it’s probably because of the vibrant orange color with the antique dark wax.  This piece turned out amazing and after reading her post and seeing her pictures, I was sold and had to place my order.

In the meantime, I also (virtually) met Trish of The Purple Painted Lady and saw this piece which blew me away. Trish and I corresponded back and forth a few times.  She gave me amazing tips and techniques on using the paint and wax, so I thought I was on my way.

I ordered a quart of the French Linen color, which seemed similar to the taupe hue that can be seen throughout my home, and a can of the clear wax.  My shipment arrived a few days later and an anxiety came over me.  After ALL the many DIY projects that I’ve taken on, I was actually nervous to paint.  Yes, paint.  How could I be nervous??  I think I hyped up the idea of this magical formula so much that my gung-ho attitude went out the door.  And for me, when I’m nervous, things go wrong.  Does that happen to you?

I started off as I was instructed to (by Trish) and turn the can upside down for at least 60 seconds.  Basically, all the good stuff settles to the bottom and needs to be well mixed around. Of course, shake and stir as well.

Then I started painting.  Yup, I started painting WITHOUT stripping, sanding, or priming the existing wood.  That’s the beauty of chalk paint.  It’s designed to adhere to most any surface including wood, concrete, vinyl, and even bathtubs (I learned that from Trish too).  Plus it provides 50% more coverage compared to latex, so the 1 quart can goes a LONG WAY – for this chair, I hardly used any paint.

So coat 1 went on just like usual. Using my favorite Purdy brush, I applied a light coat of this gorgeous color.

Then coat 2.

Two coats was just enough for most areas, but a few spots need three.

Done.  Trish stressed that it wasn’t good to paint in the heat, but I was just fine since I was indoors, in the A/C – ideal conditions!

I wasn’t sure what the result of the chalk paint would be.  I was guessing it would be chalky (obviously), but it’s not.  Honestly, if I didn’t know it was chalk paint, I would think the paint was simply a latex… Until it dries.  The finish on the dried chalk paint is very flat and dull.  You can tell it is in need of something for a top coat.  What is that something?  Well, wax.

Why Use Wax?

Chalk Paint™ is very porous and the wax will penetrate the paint and literally fuse with it making it very strong. Waxing the paint provides protection. Chalk Paint™ in nature- is a very flat chalky finish and over time could be effected by oils from your skin, stains from beverages, dirty fingertips. They can permanently stain the paint. The wax finish is what seals and protects your piece. – The Purple Painted Lady

A day later, I jumped in and started the wax process.  I’ve painted before, but have never applied wax.  Not even car wax, so I was definitely entering unchartered territories.  Again, I was nervous, but sucked it up and followed the steps (once again stated by Trish).

The wax is smooth, kind of like Crisco, and should be applied in “very thin, uniform coats”.

Remember this – VERY THIN, UNIFORM COATS

This is the basic process –

1. Start by taking a spoonful of wax.
  2. Put it on a paper plate.
  3. Dip the end bristles of your brush* into the wax.
  4. Apply the wax in the same direction as the painted brush strokes

* The brush you choose is important.  It CAN’T be a new brush and really should be a specific wax brush.  I used a well-worn brush that was leftover from my fence project.  I really should have used a true wax brush, but being the frugal gal that I am, decided not to get it with my purchase (probably a mistake). As I always preach suggest, the right tools make the job much easier.  I guess I haven’t learned my own lesson yet…

FYI – These instructions are for applying clear wax only, not the dark wax.  That has a whole set of different directions that I haven’t even looked at yet.

Trish at The Purple Painted Lady has an AMAZING Q + A on her website and every issue / problem that you may run into is on there.  She gives a very thorough step-by-step of how to apply the wax, so it’s a MUST READ!

But of course, I ran into an issue.  Here goes.  I applied the wax, waited a few hours, but it still was tacky.  I waited another 24 hours, but it was STILL tacky.  What did I do wrong?  I immediately sent an email to Trish and this was the subject line: Need HELP with wax! (that should get her attention, right?)

Like always, I heard back from her right away with a thorough explanation and she directed me right to her Q+A page.  I scrolled down and found my answer.

Thankfully “my issue” is one of the most common… too much wax!  I went over the wax with a cloth and a few days later, it was all dry and smooth to the touch.

Boy, what an experience, but I’m glad I stuck with it and learned from my mistakes. Trying something new always has it’s hurdles, but once you get over them, it’s often smooth sailing.  I’m thrilled with the result of my newly reupholstered chair and every time I look at it, I have a chuckle about the days when I wanted to pull my hair out figuring out what I did wrong.

And here’s the finished result.

I’ve received quite a few questions on, “Is the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint worth the cost?”.  It’s difficult to say depending on the look and style piece you want to achieve. With the bonus of no stripping, sanding, or priming, plus how much this paint covers compared to latex paint, it’s worth to give it a try!  You may just fall in love…

Since I’m still a novice ASCP user,  I’d LOVE to hear about your experiences with this magical formula. What issues have you had if any and how have you overcome them?  Do you love the paint or don’t think it’s worth the cost?  Please Share!

If you want to check out my reupholstery tutorial, click here.  And if you’re interested in learning alot more about how to apply the chalk paint and wax, click here to visit Trish’s website.

Comments

First of all, thank you so much for sharing one of my pieces! A huge surprise when I’m just reading along and see my orange table :) Secondly, that chair makeover is AMAZING!! Love the color choice (I’ve never used French Linen before but you made me a believer!). Also, the fabric is to die for!! Seriously, I want this chair! Also love the comparison of wax to hair conditioner. So true! And that’s one of the biggest mistakes when using AS products. Glad you had such a successful project for your first time and can’t wait to see more from you!

Ha, so glad you got a little surprise when viewing the post. Your piece was really one of the projects that “got me going” to use ASCP! Thanks for your kind words about the chair – much appreciated. xo Jenna

• Jeff says

Your chair looks wonderful. I found your site while looking for workshops for Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint. After reading some of the comments I see the usual…I have my own chalk paint recipe that cost so much less…really! Adding some power to latex makes the real chalk paint; I seriously doubt it; a paint that has been around for 20 years just not in the US. A negative about cost; really my time is worth more than a few dollars saved by trying mix up my own copycat version. I know my own stockist is extremely knowledgeable about painting with the paint, always has correct information to solve any problems I may run into when painting (can you really put a price on outstanding customer service). It sounds like your stockist provides exceptional customer service. The paint is sold in local shop owned by local people who live in my community…love supporting local merchants. The company is owned by a real person, the distribution system and the paint is made in the US. So to save on a few dollars bloggers love to post these recipes so they can get website hits to increase advertising revenue…I prefer to shop local, support local families, buy from a true artist (Annie), outstanding customer service, and to boot get to use the greatest paint in the world…I actually fine the paint to be a bargin. The choice is see those unique shops disappear from your community since you want to save a few dollars to support the big box retailer. Great information in your post.

• Joe says

So Jeff, have you actually used chalk paint you made youself? When you talk about time involved to make your own to only save a “few dollars” seems a little uninformed. ASCP runs as high as $38 a quart as opposed to buying a quart of a good brand of paint (custom mixed) for $12-$15 and either unsanded grout or Plaster of Paris for around $5. In my book, that’s quite a big savings ….especially when multiple colors are involved! Also the closest (to me) ASCP distributor is 65 miles away; I don’t think a few DIYers making their own chalk paint is going to jepordize Annie Sloan’s business…..BTW her’s is not the only brand on the market. I am most happy that you like to support your local businesses….most of us do; however, since Annie Sloan stocklists are not found in every town, your point is invalid. Happy painting!

• Bev says

I’m curious, people say they make their own chalk paint. But they add Plaster of Paris to latex paint. Annie Sloane’s paint is not latex. Seems like a big difference to me.

• Karen Schaffer says

I’ve used AS Chalk paint and loved it but found the cost and the shipping prices to be a big negative. (other brands of chalk paint are just as costly). Paying $38 plus shipping for a quart of paint is costly when you want more than one or two colors. After realizing that I wanted to be able to have a vast amount of color choices, I researched making my own chalk paint and I’ve never regretted it. I have an unlimited amount of color choices because I always know someone who has extra paint that they want to pass on. I can also mix my own custom colors. The plaster of Paris that I purchased for about $5 will last me for quite a while. The process of making your own chalk paint takes minutes and if done properly, produces great results.

I won’t say that I will never buy AS chalk paint (or another commercial chalk paint) but I wouldn’t downplay the homemade versions, either. Many do-it-yourselfers cannot afford to buy commercially made chalk paint and it isn’t always readily available in all areas.

• lisa says

According to my stockist and also to what I have found on line, Annie Sloan paints do in fact contain a little latex. Not a ton, but there is some. I also have made my own chalk paint and had extremely good results. The best paint is a high quality latex which is predominantly acrylic in base. Benjamin Moore makes a great one. To it, I add Calcium Carbonate, which is chalk, (makes sense right?) The best is the powdered, food grade type that comes by the pound from nutritional websites. I use 2 parts paint to one part powder which i emulsify completely in just enough water to make a paste. Mixing is easier than trying to mix a dry powder with wet paint. I have tried grout and plaster of paris and found this to be superior. It goes on smooth, dries fast, can be diluted, and bonds easily with wax, although for table tops it can also be sealed with a Poly. While I love ASCP, this is indeed cheaper. About half the price, and the colors are limitless. Happy painting!

• Mona says

I totally agree with Jeff , time saved in today’s world is priceless and I hate all the prep work and dry time between coats, sometimes it’s even worth saving up to buy the paint and brushes if one’s budget is low.I do however realize that it is next to impossible for everyone to be able to purchase ASCP in their area even if they wanted it so if they can DIY it and it works for them, all is well in the Kingdom.Thank you for the tips Jenna, the chair looks great

I was introduced to ASCP at Haven this summer, and fell in love. Since then, our little group has painted several pieces and are in love with it.
    It definitely has a learning curve – it is like no other paint I’ve ever used! Between all of my friends, we have probably purchased 8-9 colors and share them all. We also have the clear and dark wax.
    I just painted two chests of drawers in the Barcelona Orange color for my craft room, and I decided to use polyurethane instead of wax because I wanted a shinier look, and I think they turned out great – so you don’t necessarily HAVE to use wax. I don’t always have the patience for it!
    We’ve blogged about our ASCP experiences and plan on doing a lot more. Your chair is beautiful! Congrats!

So you tried the Barcelona Orange too? That’s awesome – I love that color!! Good to know that you used polyurethane instead of wax – I’ll have to give that a try sometime. Thanks for your kind comments. xo Jenna

First of all, I LOVE how this chair turned out! French Linen just might be my personally favorite color of ASCP too. I actually just finished up an antique little dresser with it using a “wash” technique. It’s really the perfect “greige” color! :-D

Anyhow…I definitely think that ASCP has a learning curve, especially on the waxing end, but really no more than spray paint, latex, milk paint, or other form of paint. I’ve personally found the experience of Shaunna at Perfectly Imperfect and Marian of Miss Mustard Seed to be super helpful.

Here is a great Q. and A. that Shaunna did awhile back with a couple videos. Once I followed her advice on waxing I haven’t had any problems at all and the finish turns out beautiful!

I definitely agree that you really need the right tools. I use Purdy brushes to paint and an ASCP Wax Brush….definitely worth it. I’m don’t exclusively use ASCP, but I use it the most because I don’t usually have to deal with dust from sanding (unless I’m restaining the top), overspray or fumes from a can or sprayer, it’s water soluble and SO easy to clean. I swear, my husband might never know how many little marks I’ve cleaned off of the floor of our garage floor! Lol :-)

AND, a little really does go a LONG way!

Thanks Anneke! I agree, Shaunna and Marian are also amazingly helpful and have a plethora of information to share. So glad to hear you love ASCP products and have had great success with many of your pieces. xo Jenna

I agree – ASCP is really great and Trish @ The Purple Painted Lady is AMAZING! I don’t know how she does all that she does! With the personal attention she’s always provided me with, I kind of thought I was her only customer! lol The more I read, the more I learn that she treats everyone with A++ customer service!!!!

So glad to hear someone else is nervous to try this paint. I have some Annie Sloan paint I purchased several weeks ago along with the clear and dark wax. I even bought two wax brushes…no excuse not to paint…just a bit intimidated by the process. Thanks for posting, I think I will open it up and PAINT something! Love the chair, it turned out beautiful.

You definitely don’t have an excuse Deb since you have ALL of the materials! But I totally understand since I had anxiety about the paint / wax too. Just jump in and start it – I’m sure you’ll be thrilled with the results. I can’t wait to try the dark wax. -Jenna

What great timing on this! I just painted a couple pieces the other day. I was scared to death on how to wax it. I didn’t use a brush to wax I used cheese cloth instead plus it was cheap. The lady I bought the paint from was a wealth of knowledge for me. Serious I was like a school girl asking a million questions. She told me the AS wax brushes are the best and last forever, but since I was already spending so much money on the paint and wax I decided to wait on it. She gave the idea about the cheese cloth. I thought it worked well considering I had nothing else to compare it to.
    She also told me it takes 28 days to cure, really? I said “you mean 28 hours?” No, 28 days to cure.
    I guess if I paint a piece that will get a lot of use then maybe I set it aside for awhile or be really careful with it.
    I will try to get my post up soon and will share your awesome chair on it too. Great job and the upholstery is just beautiful!!

Interesting Andrea – good to know about the cheesecloth. I can kind of believe that it takes about a month to fully cure since latex paint that you use on walls has about the same timing. It’s dry to the touch within hours, but not fully cured for quite some time. With painting furniture, I always try to “be careful” with it right after it’s done because it’s not really “dried” a.k.a. cured. So overall, did you like the ASCP and did you think it was worth the money? xo Jenna

I recently painted a side table with Annie Sloan using Old White. I was a bit nervous as well. It was my first experience. I applied two coats and lightly sanded after the first coat to minimize the brush strokes. It was a super easy process and I love the results! I have yet to wax the piece as I have not bought the wax yet. I placed a tray on it for drinks until I can get to the waxing part. Thanks for sharing the waxing tips. They will be useful when I get to that step!

I actually got a small pot of the Old White, but have yet to use it. Do you find that the table has a chalky feel? And how has it held up without the wax (sealer)? When applying the wax, go in the same direction as the brushstrokes and/or in a circular motion. Good Luck and let me know how you make out! xo Jenna

8. Jill Matthews says

Thank you thank you thank you! I am breathing easier now… As I sit looking at my unfinished ASCP desk project in my living room. Turns out I am buffing the wax off instead of just wiping as I should be. I love your chair!

YAY – so glad my post helped. Before trying the ASCP and wax, I hadn’t found a blog post that REALLY explained the steps in depth, so I wanted to make sure mine did. Also, try a circlular motion for the clear wax. That also helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask! xo Jenna

YAY – so glad my post helped. Before trying the ASCP and wax, I hadn’t found a blog post that REALLY explained the steps in depth, so I wanted to make sure mine did. Also, try a circular motion for the clear wax. That also helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask! xo Jenna

• says

I recommend that after the wax dries you use a car polishing buffing machine (about $65.00 at Sears) for a super hard wax finish and wow what a shine!

I always put on two or three coats…

9. Lorie V says

Stumbled upon your blog by accident this morning and I am so inspired. I have an older dresser in my son’s room that I have been waiting.. and waiting… and waiting to refinish but this post on Annie’s Chalk Paint was just enough to give me that push. I have checked out her chalk paint before and loved it. Thank you for your post; it’s so fun to be excited about a project. Heading to buy some paint, the only question is which fantastic color to choose? :)

That is awesome to hear Lorie – so glad you found me and SAS Interiors! You are absolutely right that the hardest part is choosing a color. I will say that the paint goes a long way and if you want to choose a bold color (that you don’t want to use on alot of furniture pieces), maybe try the small sample. Depending on the size of the dresser, it might be just enough. Enjoy and PLEASE share pictures once your done. xo Jenna

10. Karen Schaffer says

What a great first upholstery project! Beautifully done! I now have the guts to tackle two of my Mom-Mom’s old blue velvet chairs that I’ve been afraid to touch.

I’ve used ASCP and I do love it and it does go a long way, but, the cost prohibits me from buying all of the colors that I would love to buy. I have a lot of projects to paint, but, I don’t want to paint everything the same color. I will continue buying ASCP to slowly build up my color pallete and to use on my more special pieces because ASCP is an amazing product. For pieces that aren’t used often and are just small accent pieces, I’ve made my own chalk paint from a formula found on the web and it works great. I use my own old latex paint from other projects so the cost is virtually FREE.

Thank you for posting all of your great projects and for including links to ASCP projects done by others.
    I can’t wait to see more of your posts.

Thank you so much Karen for your kind comment. I agree with you on the cost and that even though the quart size goes a long way, you won’t want every piece in the house the same color – that’s why I went with the neutral color of French Linen. I would recommend for the bolder colors to go with the small pod size instead. I have also seen many of the make-your-own chalk paints, but wanted to give this a try first before comparing. Good to know that you have used both and think the DIY version works great as well. Again, loved your viewpoint and for following along! xo Jenna

• Karen Schaffer says

Now, to make things even more confusing, competitive, and so on and so on…Today I found a new brand of chalk paint called La Craie. They advertise the same results such as no sanding, priming, etc and also offer waxes and a varied color palette. Their price point is similar to Annie Sloan paints so it would be the color choices that may sway people. Just when you thought your paint problems were all simple to figure out.

Really Karen?! Well OF COURSE something new just came on the market to make things harder, lol. Well I guess it’ll be just another product to try out and maybe, just maybe, the prices will come down to be competitive. Thanks for letting me know. xo Jenna

That chair came out beautiful, Jenna! Impressive indeed. My first time using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, I painted a standing birdhouse. I used the Provence color, and loved how it came out so much, I was inspired to paint little climbing English roses around the doorway of it. You’ve probably seen it, but if not it is in my homepage sidebar as a favorite/popular post. Anyway, my little wish was that a sweet little birdie family would come along, and make a home in it. What came along though? A woodpecker. Who decided the window was a little too small for it to fit through. LOL. Nice! Anyway!….I have used my ASCP a few times. I got 3 colors. But what I use the most and really love, is the waxes. I’ve used it on a few outdoor pieces that were non-chalk paint, but I wanted to protect and be sure it repelled the wet weather. Like my other birdhouse, the All American one. The wax works great for that too!
    You’re complete re-upholstery and paint job, is inspiring. My wheels are turning! Congrats on an awesome job. : )

Thanks Laura for the kind thoughts! Your poor little birdhouse, but at least you know how much you love the ASCP. Interesting to know that you really like using the waxes. Quite a few other readers wrote in saying they use the chalk paint and then polyurethane as the sealer. Thanks again. xo Jenna

I love what you did with the chair, I especially love the fabric with the paint color. I’m glad you got the kinks worked out with ASCP. It’s really awesome paint. I use it for almost everything. I can’t imagine painting furniture with anything else at this point :) I saw your post on Pinterest. I’d love for you to link this up at my LINK PARTY at http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/08/fabulous-friday-link-party-13.html Thanks for sharing the great tips!

Thank you sooo much for this! I have been planning on painting my kitchen cabinets, then recently decided I should use ASCP to paint them with because of less prep work but now I’m freaking myself out, lol.

WHat a beautiful result – it looks absolutely stunning! I’ve literally just done a post on two old chairs that I painted with Annie Sloan’s ‘Antoinette’ pink, and you’re right – I am TOTALLY in love with it. So easy without all of the sanding and stripping, and the colour itself is just so mellow and gorgeous.
    I love what you do and am off to explore your blog further – especially the reupholstery tutorial!
    Best wishes from England,
    Paula x
    p.s. Btw I was directed here after seeing your post mentioned on the Annie Sloan Facebook page!!!

Welcome and thanks for visiting SAS Interiors! I saw that color, Paula, and it’s gorgeous as well – all the colors are fab! So glad you love this paint too ;) xo Jenna

15. Ann V. says

I love your chair! And I also love ASCP! What I don’t love is the price! I agree that it is wonderful not to prime, but I usually do some sanding just to take out the imperfections of the piece. The waxing takes quite a bit of time so I am not truly convinced that bypassing the priming is a true time-saver…sort of a trade-off!! But you can also buy really good paint that includes primer, so that is also a draw. I AM a fan of Annie Sloan for sure, but the cost of paint, wax and brushes sure adds up!!

Thanks so much Ann. For this chair, sanding would have almost been inmpossible since there was alot of intricate design, so the ASCP was the perfect solution. I could see on larger pieces though, that the time for everything could be about the same. I had other readers write in and say that they use the ASCP and then a coat of poly on top instead of the wax, which could take less time.

16. Kelly Acree says

After doing a few pieces of furniture, I decided to tackle my kitchen cabinets. Not only is this paint awesome to work with, so forgiving, and goes a looooooong way, its super easy to clean-up. I had a sizeable spill onto my hardwoods and was able to clean it right up. Try that with latex! No one believed I was able to get it up – and I just scooped up excess and used a wet towel. I’m almost done with my entire kitchen on two quarts. Worth EVERY PENNY. Every. Penny. Promise.

• says

Kelly, I am about to tackle my kitchen cabinets as well…I’m really excited to try doing it with ASCP, since it means I don’t have to sand them all first..what a nightmare that would be…It’s great to hear how well it turned out for you…and how little paint you had to use…Did you also use the wax on them afterwards?

Your chair looks beautiful! And I do love that orange table with dark wax, too!
    I’ve been using ASCP and wax since the Spring of 2012 when I attended one of Annie Sloan’s workshops on her US tour. I fell in love with the stuff, and am always amazed with the transformations an old piece of furniture undertakes with just a couple of coats of paint.

Enjoy! – Traci

18. Candecorate says

This is awesome!!! YOUR CHAIR IS BEAUTIFUL (paint colour, Fabric and all!)

Talk about luck and today is my lucky day finding your project on pinterest (now pinned to my DIY board). My plan today was to go to Ben Moore store to purchase paint supplies to repaint a pine side table I’d picked up from my neighbor’s curb on garbage day. Seeing your blog today and witnessing my girl friend’s disastrous attempt to repaint a sideboard (bought from Kijiji.com) using latex paint yesterday has convinced me to go with Chalk Paint but I live in Toronto, Canada and may not have access to Ann Sloan Chalk Paint (need to google), I am sure I can find good quality chalk paint in town. Thank you for sharing your experience

YAY! So glad you found this post then. Annie Sloan is based in England, so there definitely might be a dealer in Canada for you to buy from. Also, check out The Purple Painted Lady (http://www.thepurplepaintedlady.com/). She is who I bought my paint from and she might ship to Canada – she’s based in Rochester, NY. Good Luck! xo Jenna

Really Beckie? So you tried the ASCP brand or an at-home chalk paint version? Since this chair, I’ve used the paint on several projects and have really liked the coverage and how long it lasts, but I’m still not convinced it’s a must for the price-tag. I do have to say though, for this chair, there was no way I could have sanded all the crevices, so it was well worth it.

19. Bev says

I LOVE how you did not distress the chair – either not at all or very lightly. This is the look I want for the chest I’m planning to paint. I have the paint, just lack the courage!!

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks Bev. Honestly, you really just have to jump in and give it a try. Before starting on a good piece, try a test version first. Good Luck and keep me posted. xo Jenna

20. Pam Clark says

First, I LOVE your chair! Second, I’ve been paiting furniture using chalk paint for almost a year and I always apply my wax with a soft cloth, not a brush. I can really rub it into the paint and it’s never too thick or thin. I make my own chalk paint using latex and plaster of Paris. The wax I use is Johnson’s Paste Wax….LOVE IT! I’ve also used Johnson’s to make my on dark wax. I scoop out a chunk and use a popsicle stick to mix in black (paste) shoe polish into the wax. Of course, always do a layer of clear wax before adding the dark wax. You can also add any glaze to the wax to make a custom wax color. I’ve added some of the Valspar metalic glases to clear wax to give a piece a bit of a reflective sheen. If I could paint furniture full time, I sure would!!

A great tip from my Annie Sloan dealer…..here is a very easy way to use the wax….mix a small amount of Mineral Spirits with the wax in a seperate container. I use a terry cloth covered sponge that I got at Home Depot (pack of 3) and dip the sponge in the wax and use it so massage in a circular motion over the paint to seal it. It is sooooo much easier than using a brush and wiping it off and makes it last longer. Keep the sponge in a zip lock bag inbetween uses. I do the same for the dark wax application but use a wiping motion instead circular motion on the areas I want to highlight with the dark wax….after the clear wax coat first though!

22. sandra says

Jenna,

Love, love, love – did I say love that chair? WOW! I have a question….is the french linen a gray or green color? I am looking for a gray color…soft gray. Thank you!

23. Fran says

Thank you for sharing your beautiful project. I, too, am just learning how to use ASCP. I’m very excited to take a workshop on January 24th (in Nashville, which is a six hour drive for me). I love the French linen shade and have only used it on small projects. Obviously I applied too much wax as I had the same problem of “stickiness” and a longer drying time than I expected. I think it’s a learning experience that just tales a little getting used to.

Thanks Fran! The french linen really is a gorgeous color. Good Luck and have fun at your upcoming workshop! xo Jenna

24. Susan says

I read that if you mix your own milk paint and don’t want the chippy look you need to add a bonding agent. With ASCP do you need to add bonding agent? Or will it always be non chippy unless you do sanding or or wax prior to painting the item?

Thanks!
    Susan

• says

Hi Susan
      I just stumbled across this post and believe you may have written me already since this question seems familiar. You are correct with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint that you must add her Bonding Agent when you mix your first batch of Milk Paint. Typically- you are mixing for what will be used per application. If you need a second coat of Milk Paint (which you will!) or a 3rd coat- you do not need to add the Bonding Agent to those batches when you mix. JUST the first.

One of the many differences between Chalk Paint® and Milk Paint- is that Chalk Paint® arrives to you pre-mixed. There is nothing that needs to be added to your Chalk Paint®. Just shake it up, pop the top and begin painting. Chalk Paint® has incredible adhesion qualities! You can use it on lacquered wood, polyurethane wood, stained wood, painted wood, laminate furniture tops, cement, concrete, glass, metal, brass, fabric, etc……. The only way to get a chippy look with Chalk Paint® is buy distressing it yourself. So, if the chippy look is something that you love – then Milk Paint is a great option for you! If you like the Shabby Chic/French Country distressed look- I think Chalk Paint® is the best paint to use!

I have 2 shops in Upstate NY and take great pride in the products I choose to have available at my stores for my customers. I will only sell what I feel is the best! And – I always try to provide the best customer service one can find!

I hope that this helped you and again- I believe we may have already corresponded.
      Thanks and take care,
      Tricia~ The Purple Painted Lady

• Karen Schaffer says

No need to add a bonding agent with chalk paint. I’m certainly not an expert, but, have painted several pieces with chalk paint and there is no need to prime or anything beforehand (unless there is a rough spot that needs some sanding to smooth.) After painting, I lightly sand with the finest grit sandpaper and then wipe dust off and then wax. The wax dries to a hard finish. (there are specifics to follow with the waxing but all information can be found online.) Have fun.

25. Rhonda says

Love, Love, Love the chair and your detailed instructions. Thank you. We are moving into a house that all of the window frame woodwork are different colors and/or wood color and in desperate need of something. I hate stripping paint, so would the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint work on window frames?

26. VE says

I love the chair…very pretty. I love my dining room table and chairs but I want to pain it a different color. I bought is as a finished table…sort of a glossy finish. Can I just begin painting with Annie Sloan’s chalk paint or do I need to sand the surfaces before I paint?

You could certainly see your expertise within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

28. BEV says

Hi there,
    I am about to refinish my dining room table and I am so excited to do so. I was reading your step by step and it is fantastic. I will go onto the Purple Painted Lady to see about the dark wax. My question to you is you mentioned you can paint a tub. Is this true. How long after can you use it? Can’t wait to hear your reply.

I said you can paint a tub??? Did I say that? You can’t paint a tub with chalk paint, sorry! Now I’ll have to go look at my post…

I have been using Annie Sloan paint for a couple of months. I love it!!! I have painted a railing, a piano,and 3 dressers!!! I have many more projects to go and I will stick with this paint forever!!!

30. Andrea says

Hi there! Do you have any pointers on how to get ASCP dried spills and drips off of concrete? Thank you!

31. Lindsay says

I have a circa 1920’s dresser with nice intact hardware (round “brushed brass looking pulls) but old, drastically chipped cream coloured paint. I think it’s fir. Light, fine grain. (tung oil makes it dark golden) I love this old piece but want to know if stripping is worthwhile and what product you would recommend. I have on hand a can of “Circa 1850 stripper.) I want to chalk paint it with a driftwood grey beach look. Is this project worthwhile in your opinion?

Thanks,
    Lindsay

32. tom says

I considered making my own chalk paint, but stopped in at the Purple Painted lady and got good advice from Trish and bought a quart of ASCP in graphite. I’m doing a small lady’s desk (or secretary). I did sand it because the existing finish was flaking and peeling and I’m a little obsessive about sanding. Painted two coats of the graphite. The desk is oak and oak veneer, and I like how the ASCP filled in the open grain somewhat. I also really like the matte finish. I did not purchase the wax. I tried some carnuba wax, also some Briwax in ebony, and finally, some Minwax clear paste wax, all of which I had hanging around the house. Not happy with the results of any of them…splotchy. So for now, I’m undecided on what to use for a top coat. One thing I’m considering is a satin finish poly that comes in spray cans. I’m on the fence and don’t want to spend another $70 to buy the clear and the dark AS wax on this old desk that isn’t really worth putting a $100 finish on. My wife has suggested that I should have just spray painted it. Hmmmmm…..

33. Anne Dabecco says

I took a ASCP class, then decided to dive into my first project. A wooden tray that was overused and unattractive. Well…..what did I do wrong? After FIVE yes FIVE coats of paint, it still looks awful. I’m not going to wax it as it is a tray that will be used outside on the porch. I did an undercoat of a light khaki color (can’t remember the exact ASCP name) and a top coat of the Red. Actually 2 coats of the khaki, and 3 of the red. The coverage is terrible. There are all sorts of splotchy spots, and areas that just looked like I missed a spot. After FIVE coats of paint? Help!!!

Yikes. I’m honestly not really sure what you did wrong, but I will say the result after using ASCP is very flat and chalky. With the wax, it seals the chalk paint and gives it a slightly more polished look. I would recommend doing that. I would also reach out to Trish of the Purple Painted Lady – she can absolutely help you. She’s awesome. Here is her email address: takuntz
      @rochester.rr.com

34. Emma Knight says

Hi there, I stumbled across your blog whilst researching Annie Sloan paint and techniques and – oh my! That chair is wonderful.
    I’ve recently acquired a really drab four seater solid pine table and plan to ‘Annie Sloan it up’ lol.
    I’ve never painted a single thing my my life…..I literally mean not a single thing :-/ ……so this paint appeals for ease for a total amateur.
    Can’t decide on Cream or French Linen but your chair is pulling me towards the latter I have to say.
    Thanks for sharing and the ‘less is more’ on the wax front is something worth remembering as I’m sure I’ll end up replicating this mistake!
    Just one more thing: PLEASE tell me where you purchased that amazing fabric. I’ve searched high and low and haven’t found anything as stunning as that!
    Thanks, Em Xx

35. AshleyB says

Thank you so much about the informative post on ASCP! I found a pediment Georgian-style mirror by APF Munn for a steal on One Kings Lane. However, it was a dark gold color and I wanted to paint it white to look like architectural plaster. ASCP was the perfect solution! I painted it with two coats of old white and left off the wax to ensure it had that plaster-like quality. It looks beautiful! I also painted two Klismos chairs (found on ebay) in the old white and they will be the perfect symmetrical accompaniment to flank the mirror and sideboard. I had to sand the Klismos chairs first, unfortunately, as they had been hideously disfigured by a faux-gold paint job in the 1980s (they also had purple polka dot upholstery–yikes). It was worth it though, as they have a beautiful silhouette with saber legs. I recommend sanding if the paint surface has any large imperfections/lumps.

36. Janice says

I love the chair! thank you for all the detail in your blog. I am refinishing a chair for a vanity and I will be making it like this. I took a ASCAP workshop in Nh in August. I am sold on ASCAP. I went right home and painted my 80s brown, boring bedroom set with 2 coats of the cream color and 2 coats of the wax. 1 quart was all I needed for 5 pieces! However, it did take me 45 hours to complete the project, but it turned out beautiful! I get so many compliments on it. I just bought the grafite, emperor silk,and Florence to do 3 more projects. I love it! I enjoyed your blog and reading about others too. Thanks.
    Janice

Great post! And the chair came out so nicely!

I finished my first Annie Sloan paint project a week ago – and I couldn’t stop and finished a big dresser as well. I just adore this paint. But I have the same issue, the nearest stockist is far away and next I want to use DIY chalk paint. Can’t wait to try that as well.

38. Jayme says

I love chalk paint. Your chair is awesome. Just wanted to let everyone know that I painted nightstands with a cherry finish. My problem was that the the stain bled even with two coats of a mix of old white and cream Annie Sloan paint on it. I stopped what I was doing and applied a coat of Zinsser shellac, and waited for it to dry. I let it dry 1 hour and repainted. Now there was no problem with it. But just wanted everyone to know if you have this problem a coat of Zinsser will take care of it.

39. Roisine says

I attended a workshop on using ASCP last week and tried my first 2 projects this week. The first was a small set of trinket drawers which I picked up years ago in a charity shop. I tried an English Yellow undercoat with Old White on top. Finishing with clear and dark wax. To be honest, I didn’t like the finish. But I also understood what I had done wrong. So today, I tried a chair! It was far more successful and I love it!
    2 tips I would give other novices – the Annie Sloan brush is definitely an asset to painting. And… try applying the wax with a rag/cloth instead of a brush. You can feel the areas which need more attention as you go and you are unlikely to apply too much.

Jenna,

Please help. I’m having the same problem YOU had with your first experience with the waxing. I have tried waxing and REWAXING my kitchen chairs, and they’re still tacky. The first time I waxed them, maybe I didn’t apply enough. The buffing process did not go smoothly. The next time I waxed, I made sure to WIPE OFF the excess, thinking I was leaving a very thin, slight layer. That was yesterday at 6 pm. This morning at 8 a.m. (14 hrs), they’re still tacky when I tried buffing them with a T-shirt. Rough and tacky.

Do I just wait this out, hoping that with time the wax will eventually harden to the point that I can attempt successful buffing for that coveted smooth finish? Is that what you did, just wait it out? Any tips appreciated.
    Twyla recently posted..Go With the Flow

If the wax is still tacky you probably have too much wax on the surface. Thats what happen with me. Eventually it “dries”, but it takes along time. I would reach out to Trish of The Painted Purple Lady with any specific questions. She is quick to respond and she is my go-to for all chalk paint + wax questions. Her website is: http://www.thepurplepaintedlady.com/ and her email is: takuntz@rochester.rr.com

Good Luck!

41. Judy Schiffer says

I noticed brush strokes in some photos prior to the waxing process but in an “after” phone the brush strokes seem to have disappeared. I understand the wax helps to protect the paint but does the waxing process smooth out the brush strokes and give it a smooth finish? Thank you!

42. Cindy says

Can you use Flotrol width Annie Sloan Chalk Paint typo eliminate brush strokes, or can you use a roller on large flat surfaces?

Great question and I’m not sure. Floetrol might work, but it also could mess up the “formula” of the chalk paint. My advice would be to add a small bit of Floetrol to a small bit of chalk paint and try it out to see the result. Come back and let me know!

43. Ada Stoltzfoos says

I have an old hutch that was my husbands grandmothers. It has a dark stain and varnish. i was thinking I would need to strip everything off. Are you telling me that I should not do that and just apply the chlak paint? i rwally don’t want to mess it up.